Fire Fighter Level 1
This course is the first level in the firefighting practices program. The 10-day course is structured for competency-based group instruction of Firefighter 1 information presented in the Essentials of Firefighting, Sixth Edition. It is designed to provide the skills necessary to effectively perform the functions of a firefighter and to upgrade and re-align those skills with the changing times.
Prerequisites: Active member of a Fire department within Nunavut. Must be 18 years of age and physically and mentally capable of performing the functions of a firefighter.
Duration: 10 days.
- Orientation & Fire Service History
- Firefighter Safety & Health
- Fire Department Communications
- Building Construction
- Fire Behavior
- Firefighter Personal Protective Equipment
- Portable Fire Extinguishers
- Ropes, Webbing & Knots
- Structural Search, Victim Removal & Firefighter Survival
- Scene Lighting, Rescue Tools
- Forcible Entry
- Ground Ladders
- Tactical Ventilation
- Water Supply
- Fire Hose
- Fire Streams
- Fire Control
- Loss Control
- Fire Origin & Cause Determination
- Fire & Life Safety Initiatives